If you use nature’s water when camping, then you need to purify it by killing any microorganisms, like Giardia or cryptosporidium, which can cause diarrhea, cramps, or other health problems. Drink only safe water, here’s how …
Time Required: 30 minutes
- Boil water vigorously for 5-10 minutes.
- Or, using an eye dropper, add 8 drops of liquid chlorine bleach per gallon of water, 16 drops if the water is cloudy, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Or, using a 2% tincture of Iodine (from your first aid kit), add 20 drops per gallon of water, 40 drops if the water is cloudy, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Or, use water purification tablets available at drug stores and sporting goods stores. Follow directions on the label.
- Or, use a commercial water filter that removes bacteria, protozoa, viruses, and chemicals.
- After purifying the water, to improve the taste, aerate it by pouring it back and forth between two clean containers.
- Also, try adding a pinch of salt to sweeten the taste.
- Store purified water in clean, sanitary containers.